I have had a mad love affair with onion rings since childhood. I was the kid ordering the onion rings when most of my friends were getting the fries. Back in those days I never gave a single thought to how healthy they were (or anything for that matter) - and back in the day, our parents didn’t seem to say too much about that either. And maybe that’s because many of us were eating a lot more home-cooked meals and a lot less fast food.
That brings me to this recipe. I definitely like the idea of baking things we think only taste good fried. And I LOVE when those things actually taste good baked. These baked onion rings definitely fall into that category! Here you go…
- 2-3 large yellow onions
- 1-2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons milk
- olive oil cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice onions horizontally (forming cirlcles) to desired thickness.
- In bowl, lightly whisk egg with milk and set aside.
- In separate bowls for each, add the flour and breadcrumbs. Season both with a little salt and pepper.
- Dredge onions in flour first, then egg mixture, then panko crumbs.
- Wipe olive oil (with a brush or paper towel) on baking sheet. Arrange breaded onions on same sheet and spray with olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake at 385 F (or a little higher) for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Enjoy as is or dip in your favorite condiment!