Update: I’ve made this granola several times and have made a few changes, so I’m reposting with improved updates. Enjoy!
I love granola, but it’s just hard to find healthy granola that’s not packed with sugar and other ingredients you find yourself pushing aside. I like every bite to be the perfect combination of my favorite ingredients (like cashews, almonds and dried fruit). I also don’t like when I purchase granola that tastes stale (arghh!). That’s the beauty of making your own – you get to have it fresh and your way!
I’ve been making this granola for a few years now and always seem to enjoy switching it up and making different variations. Sometimes I like it simpler, so I don’t add the banana chips or as many nuts. You can do the same. The recipe can also be doubled. Just make sure to add enough of the wet ingredients so the mix is moist before baking.
Banana Nut Trail Mix Granola
- 4 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup each of the following:
- slivered or whole almonds, cashew pieces, sunflower seeds, shredded coconut
- ¼ cup whole flax seeds
- optional – 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup grade B pure maple syrup
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup water
- optional (a few drops of vanilla extract)
- ¾ cup raisins
- ½ cup banana chips
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl (except raisins and banana chips).
- In small bowl, combine all wet ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In separate bowl, mix oil, water and vanilla together and then add to dry ingredients; stir until mixture is dampened.Feel free to mix and match dry ingredients to your taste. For example, you may like less nuts and more raisins, or you may want to add dried apricots, ginger, etc.
- Spread mixture evenly on a rectangular baking pan. I prefer a large stoneware pan because of the way it evenly distributes the heat, but a large cookie sheet is fine.
- Bake at 275 for 40 minutes. Then turn the mixture for a couple minutes for even baking.
- Bake for another 20 minutes and flip mixture again. Bake for another 10 or 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool completely; add the raisins and banana chips.
- Store in air tight container.