American breakfast sure has changed over the years, hasn’t it? For the most part, it used to be either cereal, oatmeal, or eggs and bacon. And now it’s getting all healthy, pretty and exciting. And maybe that’s happening for other meals since it seems we’re all thinking more and more about eating whole foods and staying healthy.
For me, I’m on that fence way too often – the one that sits between eating really healthy and eating whatever the heck I want. I think I dangle my legs more on the side of eating healthy, but the older I get the more I realize how much I really need to stay on the healthy side of that dang fence.
This past week I made these overnight oats after being given the most beautiful freshly-picked strawberries. Overnight oats are the best, especially during the work week because it’s such and easy way to grab a healthy breakfast to go with you to work.
One of my favorite additions to overnight oats are chia seeds, which I also soak overnight in almond milk. Soaking them makes them a little juicy and chewy, and I love the interesting texture they add.
And recently, I discovered stone-ground coconut butter, which has way more taste and a creamier consistency than coconut oil. This is definitely not a sponsored post, but in case you’re curious about what I used in this recipe, it’s Ostara Stone Ground Coconut Butter that I picked up in a local health food store.
The great thing about little recipes like this is that you can make them your own. Choose whatever milk you like, your favorite fruits and nuts, and even veggies. I even love making savory overnight oats with seeds and olives. I know it’s not for everyone, but I love it.
Whatever you do, just be unique and enjoy it – that’s what matters most!
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1½ cups almond milk (or preferred milk)
- 1 cup (8) fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- optional: 1 teaspoon coconut butter
- 1-2 tablespoons shredded coconut (I prefer natural, unsweetened)
- raw honey to taste
- Soak oats overnight in small covered container with ¾ cup of almond milk. In another small container, soak chia seeds in ¼ cup of almond milk.
- When ready to prepare, in small bowl add the oats. Spoon on chia seeds, strawberries, and coconut. Drizzle with remaining almond milk, and honey if desired.
- Note: if desired, warm coconut butter and stir with shredded coconut before adding to bowl.